Robert studied Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at Trent University in Peterborough, Ontario, Canada. He carried out his Honours thesis as well as three NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) there, under the supervision of Prof. Steven Rafferty, characterizing the biophysical and electrochemical properties of the atypical cytochromes b5 found in the intestinal parasite Giardia intestinalis. In 2015, he started his PhD at CeMM – Research Center for Molecular Medicine of the Austrian Academy of Science in Vienna, Austria. His graduate research in the lab of Dr. Stefan Kubicek focused on development of a dynamic tissue culture system and the exploration of its effects on adherent cell lines using unbiased approaches such as quantitative proteomics, next-generation sequencing, and metabolomics. This culminated in the release of the open-source “PlateFlo” culture system, and allowed him to discover his passion for making, mechatronics, 3D printing, and programming. He joins our group in February 2022 to put that passion to work on hydrothermal synthesis as a postdoctoral fellow.
3) R. Pazdzior and S. Kubicek*: “PlateFlo–A software-controllable plate-scale perfusion system for culture of adherent cells”, HardwareX, 2021, 10, e00222. doi: 10.1016/j.ohx.2021.e00222 (Open-Source Project)
2) Z.A. Yang, R. Pazdzior, J. Yee, and S. Rafferty*: “Reduction potential and heme-pocket polarity in low potential cytochrome b5 of Giardia intestinalis”, J. Inorg. Biochem., 2016, 158, 110-114. doi: 10.1016/j.jinorgbio.2016.02.021
1) R. Pazdzior, Z.A. Yang, M.S. Mesbahuddin, J. Yee, A. van der Est, and S. Rafferty*: (2015). “Low reduction potential cytochrome b5 isotypes of Giardia intestinalis”, Exp. Parasitol, 2015, 157, 197-201. doi:10.1016/j.exppara.2015.08.004
5) POSTER: Young Scientists Association (YSA) PhD Symposium, 2019, Vienna, Austria.
4) POSTER: Keystone Symposium: Frontiers in Islet Biology and Diabetes, 2018, Keystone, USA.
3) TALK: Young Scientists Retreat: Bridging Disciplines in Life Sciences, 2018. Bratislava, Slovakia.
2) POSTER: DOC PhD Fellowship Poster Exhibition, 2017, Vienna, Austria.
1) POSTER: EMBO Workshop: Advanced Proteomics, 2016, Bressanone, Italy.
AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIPS:
10) Austrian Academy of Sciences DOC PhD Fellowship. 2017-2020
9) Austrian Proteomics Association Travel Stipend. 2016
8) Society of Chemistry Industry Student Merit Award. 2015
7) Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Undergraduate Student Research Award (USRA). 2015
6) Canadian Society for Chemistry Silver Medal. 2014
5) NSERC USRA. 2014
4) Robert Annet Scholarship. 2014
3) Makhija Prize in Chemistry. 2014
2) NSERC USRA. 2013
1) Graham Hartley Prize. 2013